Before talking about some of the details of training, let us first understand some of the concepts that dogs value.
Group: Dogs are social animals, which are living habits since the wolf. After a dog is raised, the dog will regard his family as his own ethnic group, and all creatures other than his family are not his ethnic group.
Level: Dogs have different status levels in the ethnic group. The high level has the responsibility of protecting the entire ethnic group. It is responsible for marking the sphere of influence of the ethnic group and giving priority to the distribution of food and food.
Territory: Dogs are very aware of their territory and habitat. When foreign forces invade the "territory" or even "habitat", the dog is likely to be extremely aggressive. When the dog is not in his own territory, the dog will feel nervous and give up the initiative. Unless a very strong dog or life-threatening situation.
It is precisely because we did not pay attention to the instinct of these dogs when we were raising dogs, which caused some dogs to be arrogant and aggressive. This causes many behavior problems in dogs. For example, aggressive to strangers, regards the owner as their own mobile "territory", flutters people, separates anxiety, protects food, protects toys, cannot call back.
It is very simple to let the puppies interact with people from the primary age, but even if the dog is already a "small bully", starting from these basic trainings can be successful.
The so-called socialization is to allow dogs to interact with strangers, other animals or the environment as much as possible.
* Fear of strangers. You can try to let other people do the work of feeding, and then play and touch, let them slowly give up the resistance to strangers.
* Fear of other dogs. You could allow the docile dog to walk and interact with them.
* Fear of training in certain environments. The owner can accompany them to adapt, such as a noisy environment. The owner must be very calm (do not slap the dog when the dog is afraid of reaction, the dog will regard this as a commendation, thus strengthen the reaction of fear), let the dog slowly get used to it.
The owner must learn to ignore the dog's requirements often, so that the dog knows that the master can be in a dominant position. Rather than asking for attention through actions such as barking, deafness, etc. Dogs that learn to pass the time alone.
* Dogs often ask for food or attention through barking. We can't give food or attention when dogs bark. This will strengthen the dog's barking behavior, let the dog learn to calm down to get food and Touching is the right thing to do.
*When the dog asks you to invite you to play with it, don't pay attention to him. When he gives up, calling it and playing with it is the right way to let the dog understand that you are the one who dominates the game time.
* When you are with the dog, you should arrange a certain "ignoring" time. You can't let him turn around you. There is no contact between eyes and voice during the ignoring time, let it learn to pass the time alone.
*Before you go home and just go out, be sure to set the time of "ignoring", avoid greetings, and say goodbye. This is very important. This will make the dog less excited when you go out and not so anxious when you go home.
3: Praise and criticism
Correct praise and criticism are a very important part of establishing a dog's correct behavior, and many people use the wrong method in this link, which causes the dog to understand the meaning of the owner or to confuse other aspects.
*Recognition and criticism must be timely. "Timely" means that within 1.5 seconds, many dogs can't understand what the praise or criticism after 3 seconds is for. So many missed opportunities (such as seeing the bitten shoes), it is no longer a matter of reprimanding the dog.
* To raise the tone when you praise, (to let the dog know how happy it is) and to touch the part that the dog likes. (Many people use gentle, lighter tones that will greatly reduce the effect of praise).
*The voice of criticism is low and firm. Generally we use "no" (many people will scream loudly, and screams will be considered by dogs to be the expression of fear of the owner).
4: Management toys
Many owners bought toys for dogs to play, but did not know the correct use of toys, causing many problems. For example, a toy that a dog is playing can't come back. For example, a dog has many toys but has no interest in the toy. In addition, letting dogs learn to use toys to pass the time is also what we hope.
* There are many kinds of toys. For dogs, toys have two meanings. One is for interaction and the other is for being alone.
* Interactive toys such as balls, ropes, and Frisbees. It is necessary for the owner to interact with the dog, and the owner must always be in a strong position in the competition for toys.
*Lonely toys such as missing food toys, intellectual toys, and even large bones.
* Toys used for interaction or toys used for solitude must be given at the appropriate time and withdrawn at the end. This will declare the ownership of the toy and put the owner in the position of “leader”. On the other hand, dogs will be very interested in toys.
There are still many other ways , Please wait for the next part: Raise Your Puppy to Be a Social-freindly Dog - Part 2